Yamaha jumping jacks

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 03 Nov 2005 18:12:28 +0100

Hi Annie

I'll tack Alans reply on below. Double check the strength of both damper
springs and jack return strings (by feel) They dont need to be any
stronger then is enough to do their respective jobs. Also double check
damper timing to be at half blow. If timing is to err, then let it be
just barely late rather then early on these pianos. (MHO) but dont get
carried away :)

The jack return springs may seem puny... but a bit of experiementing
with different spring strengths can be enlightening.

Cheers
RicB

Howdy Ric, et al.,

The jack tops did appear to be unreasonably close to the butts, which I
wondered about. And, yes, the double-strikes are a soft-blow phenomenon.
But I could feel the hammers wobbling when I played before starting tuning,
and I'm not about to leave customers with that, even if they'd never
recognize (or probably even notice) the wobble. I thought the jack return
springs looked pretty puny, but maybe looks are deceiving in this case.

When did Alan deal with these issues in older instruments? I haven't seen
any such reply to my query, so I'm wondering whether I missed something (as
usual <g>).

Thanks!

Annie
------------------

Piano owners are usually not happy when their pianos have the "automatic
staccato repetition feature," that is, bobbling (technical term:
double-striking) hammers. Here are common causes and cures:

*Verticals:*

Possible Causes: Inadequate key dip for the hammer stroke caused by
hammer wear and/or rest felt wear/compaction; backcheck felt wear;
catcher buckskin worn, damaged, or missing; checking distance too far;
excess lost motion between jack and hammer butt. Other actual or
contributing causes may be weak hammer springs (especially the
Schwander-type butt spring), poorly shaped or worn butts (not yours, the
piano’s), too little lost motion so that the hammer, at rest, is
physically touching the jack (use the rest rail follow test for a quick
check: There must be some lost motion); butt flange center pinning too
loose. Thickness of the butt felts helps determine the jack angle as it
hits the butt, which can contribute to bobbling. A rare cause is
misalignment of the action or capstans in the piano, usually a
manufacturing goof.

Cures: Make necessary repairs. Make sure keys are level and that the
backrail felt is in reasonably good shape. Regulate blow, lost motion,
letoff, and checking. Check dip—make sure there is adequate aftertouch
for the action to completely cycle and the hammer to check before the
key bottoms out— but there must be no excessive lost motion or "slop".
If the problem persists, it may help to gently hyperflex the hammer
return spring to strengthen it—and make sure it moves freely in its
felted slot. Sometimes removing some of the slack from the bridle strap
can help. Make sure nothing is interfering with action movement, e.g.,
bent bridle wires. Less common, but noticed in newer Yamaha uprights,
damper springs (or jack springs) may be too strong or damper spoons
regulated in such a way that resistance becomes very high at the same
time that the jack spring is being compressed for letoff. To check this,
depress the right pedal and see if the bobbling stops. You may need to
ease the spring or change spoon regulation.

*Grands*

Regulation is always the suspect, here. If the bobbling happens on a
hard blow, it is likely that the hammers are not checking properly. The
backchecks may need new leather and/or regulating. Worn or missing key
bushings can cause the key to flop around so much that checking is
affected. Evaluate the repetition lever spring and the amount of hammer
drop: If the spring is too strong and/or drop is too high, bobbling may
occur on soft blows.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri