regulating "refurbished" Sohmer grand

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 01:18:05 -0500

I was out today to regulate a rebuilt Sohmer grand. This older piano was
rebuilt by a very reputable dealership in Indy. Some parts of the
workmanship were outstanding, others not so good.

The piano is owned by a prominent local attorney. He bought it about two
years ago. I tuned it once in the home. Since then another tech (RPT)
tuned it and fussed with it. I don't know what all he did but he was
tired of messing with the piano (the attorney has something of a
reputation). A couple of months ago they called me out to tune the
piano.

The action was a mess. The hammers were blocking and it felt like there
was way too much friction somewhere, not enough up weight on the keys.
And the keys were very wobbly. Perhaps the other tech had over eased
them to try to take out friction, I don't know. I hate being in this
kind of situation: picky client (who doesn't know anything about pianos,
nor does he play), piano rebuilt by a third party sold through a third
party dealer and I'm not the regular tuner/tech.

No problem. It's not my problem. I tell him the piano has some serious
regulation problems and extensive friction caused by I don't know what.
I quote him a high price, stressing it is an estimate, hoping he won't
ask me to do the work. He doesn't. Until last weekend. He calls me and
tells me he is having a big party on Dec 3. He's hired a pianist and he
needs his piano fixed. No way do I have enough time with what I have
going on. So I told him I would come out today and try to make it
playable in one day.

I intended to give it a quick and dirty regulation and take out whatever
friction I could easily. Half way through setting let off I came to a
note that the dowel was turned all the way down on and it still was not
letting off (dowels overall were very loose and many felt like they were
near the end). I immediately suspected cracked jack heel. Took off the
whippen and sure enough, it was a two piece jack construction and the
heel was very loose. Now I suspected them all. I took the stack off and
started checking and sure enough, probably 30%-40% of the heels were a
little loose. Now I knew why the hammers were blocking and the dowels
were near the end. Time for a field CA repair.

With the stack upside down I lightly sprayed the jack joint with
accelerator (without any accelerator, the CA tends to soak into the wood
and not leave any in the joint before it sets up). Then using a hypo
oiler I very carefully applied the tiniest drop of CA to each joint (too
much and it will run into the pivot bushing. Bad, bad. DAMHIK).
Rechecked for looseness. One was still loose. A little more accelerator
and more glue. Voila! Problem solved. For ten years now whenever I get
an action like this into the shop I will routinely apply CA to that
joint. I would urge you all to do the same. If only the other rebuilder
would have done it much grief could have been avoided.

While the stack was upside down I also stuck the hypo needle into the
adjusting holes of the letoff dowels and squirted a couple drops in each
dowel so it would run up the threaded hole. I let it set for a couple
minutes, spray on accelerator before uprighting stack ( I didn't want
any excess CA to drip into undesirable places. Been there, done that).
Spray more accelerator onto the dowel where the threaded rod goes in,
then I applied more CA to the top of the dowel. I don't think I've ever
done this before but it really worked! Those wobbly dowels became nice
and snug and they weren't hard to turn.

Damper wires were a little stiff. It appears the plate was not
reinstalled in the original location. Most of the damper wires were
bent, slightly cocking the damper heads, so the wires would clear the
neighboring strings. A mess.  Applied Goose Juice and they freed up
nicely. What a nightmare that could have been.

 Applied Goose Juice to all action pivot points. Eased some balance rail
holes. Up weight still seemed on the low side but it was much improved.
I didn't see any other signs of excess friction. The first rebuilder had
changed hammer shanks, hammers and key bushings. Those are the only new
parts visible. Hammer tails were not tapered or radiused (and they
needed to be because of clearance issues and poor checking) so I don't
know why up weight would be low (I only have the opinion it was low, I
did not take measurements) unless the hammers weighed less than the
originals. I suspect another gram or two of weight on the hammers would
greatly improve the responsiveness.

Key bushings were left sloppy. Hey, you can only do so much in one day.
Overall the piano was left very functional for less invested than what I
anticipated (6.5 hours). BTW, I used Spurlock's grand regulating jig. I
love this simple jig. It makes short work of very precise letoff and
drop regulation.

Shared opinions on what could be done to improve responsiveness or up
weight would be appreciated. When I say poor responsiveness what I mean
is the action is a little on the slow side. The keys had no weights in
them. Down weight may have been a little low as well.

Blessings.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272