Rookie tech learns valuable lesson

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Wed, 02 Nov 2005 19:17:06 -0800

<< Now I realize that I must learn, and soon. >>

It also helps to have a "backup" ETD!

Terry Peterson

<BLOCKQUOTE style='PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #A0C6E5
2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px'><font
style='FONT-SIZE:11px;FONT-FAMILY:tahoma,sans-serif'><hr color=#A0C6E5
size=1>

</head>
(including my study time!) and things are going very well.  I quit my full
time job a few months ago, got a part time and fill the rest with piano
work.  I'm getting lots of referrals and everyone seems pleased with
my work.  </font></div>
high
end ETD and concentrated on my technique and other things like repairs,
regulating and voicing, thinking that the aural stuff will come later.  I
of course always listen to my unisons, octaves and other aural checks, but
have
yet to set a temperament.  Late this afternoon I was half way
through a pitch raise on a Yamaha at a school and my ETD kind of crashed.
I panicked.  There was no one around to reschedule (not to mention they've
already paid me for this tuning and the one I'm doing tomorrow, so it would
look
really bad if I just left), I couldn't find my mentor, (lost your cell again
RJ?), I tried everything I could think of to fix the ETD.  Luckily I got
ahold of another tech in the city that uses the same one and he was able to
help
me.  Crisis averted.  I have been meaning to learn to tune aurally but
I guess it was put on the back burner because I've been busy and my business
has
been growing nicely.  Now I realize that I must learn, and soon.
appreciate it.  (I have the Randy Potter course but I'd like other options
and opinions.)   Where do I start?  Tune with 3rds and 6ths
and check with 4ths and 5ths or the other way around?  Recommeded
sequence?  Any other tips?  I think I need some
help.</font></div>