Rookie tech learns valuable lesson

Norma Neufeld normajneufeld@shaw.ca
Wed, 02 Nov 2005 21:12:00 -0600

Hello List,

I have about 1 year of experience in this job (including my study time!) =
and things are going very well.  I quit my full time job a few months =
ago, got a part time and fill the rest with piano work.  I'm getting =
lots of referrals and everyone seems pleased with my work. =20

So far so good.

When I started studying this art I bought a high end ETD and =
concentrated on my technique and other things like repairs, regulating =
and voicing, thinking that the aural stuff will come later.  I of course =
always listen to my unisons, octaves and other aural checks, but have =
yet to set a temperament.  Late this afternoon I was half way through a =
pitch raise on a Yamaha at a school and my ETD kind of crashed.  I =
panicked.  There was no one around to reschedule (not to mention they've =
already paid me for this tuning and the one I'm doing tomorrow, so it =
would look really bad if I just left), I couldn't find my mentor, (lost =
your cell again RJ?), I tried everything I could think of to fix the =
ETD.  Luckily I got ahold of another tech in the city that uses the same =
one and he was able to help me.  Crisis averted.  I have been meaning to =
learn to tune aurally but I guess it was put on the back burner because =
I've been busy and my business has been growing nicely.  Now I realize =
that I must learn, and soon. =20

If any one has any advice on this I'd sure appreciate it.  (I have the =
Randy Potter course but I'd like other options and opinions.)   Where do =
I start?  Tune with 3rds and 6ths and check with 4ths and 5ths or the =
other way around?  Recommeded sequence?  Any other tips?  I think I need =
some help.

Thanks very much,

Norma Neufeld
Sasktoon, SK