Yamaha jumping jacks

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Wed, 02 Nov 2005 19:11:17 +0100

Hi there Annie

If these are new pianos, and the action is reasonably well regulated
then my first guess is always too strong jack return springs and / or
too strong damper springs.  Both tend to leave the jack top just a tad
too close to the butt. A clue that these springs are involved is that
the double strike goes away if you insure a very firm bottoming of the
key stroke.

On older instruments, lots of things can come into play. Alan delt with
most of that nicely.  Tho I would add that  the jack stop rail on
occasion can also need adjustment.

Cheers
RicB

Annie Grieshop wrote:

I had two tuning jobs yesterday that involved relatively new Yamaha
verticals - an M500 and an M450.  Both have very jumpy jacks (or, at least,
that's my analysis of why they're tending to double-strike, even when
well-regulated), and I'm wondering why.

Both have plastic jacks and synthetic buckskin.  The M500 had been treated
with something that looked graphite-like and was less jumpy than the M450,
which leads me to believe that the proper lubricant (or other treatment)
might solve the problem.  I would very much appreciate any suggestions as to
how to proceed.  Thanks!