Removing a stage truck

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:07:44 -0700

Cy,
At 07:31 PM 3/30/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>I've reviewed the archives on stage truck installation and removal, but
>there seems to be a missing step.
>
>On a grand, when removing a stage truck, you block the front arms of the
>truck (so it doesn't tip up), then jack up one of the front legs of the
>piano and install the caster.  Before you can drop that first leg to the
>floor, it seems that you must loosen the center bolts of the stage truck
>and pivot that first arm out of the way, so the caster can reach the
>floor... right?

The issue of blocking is to prevent leverage flipping one arm of the truck
up at you.  You will want to block under the back one too.  The center
bolts can be loosened enough then to allow an arm to be swung out as the
weight is lifted off of it.  I set a timber under the piano to prevent
mayham in the unlikely event of a hydraulic jack failure

>Then, when jacking up the other side of the piano, when the second leg is
>free of the stage truck, the truck can be pivoted away without loosening
>any more bolts, because only the rear leg is on it... correct?

Just don't pivot it off of its block if you don't want to divot anything. ;-)

Do they still have their original casters & screws?  I know the one I put
on a truck is going to need some epoxy/bondo work in the socket & screw
holes if they ever go back.  It was long overdue for a truck.

Have fun,
Andrew