was flat facts

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:55:47 -0600

RicB,

At 09:24 3/29/2005, you wrote:
>I wonder if anyone has ever tried to actually isolate any of the factors
>mentioned and get to the bottom of the question, or if there is simply a
>tendency to replace one set of assumptions with another ?
>
>One could actually contrive a tuning pin in a block fastened to a
><<plate>> that is strong enough not to give and take the entire
>soundboard/bridge assembly out of the question.

If one had access to an old WurliTzer grand with the split/wedged pins in a
metal block, I'm sure you could set the pins so tight that they are the
same as welded.

Of course, then there might be other tuning stability factors involved. ;-}

One I've serviced since 1984:
4'9" 1931 vintage

10/02   - 441Hz - 60%
2/03    - 438.1 - 32%
8/03    - 439.7 - 75%
2/04    - 439.3 - 34%
6/04    - 439.7 - 58%
1/05    - 439.7 - 32%

NOT a scientific study, only anecdotal.

Conrad Hoffsommer
Decorah, IA

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
It's gone right now and didn't leave a forwarding address.