was flat facts

Richard Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:24:10 +0100

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to actually isolate any of the factors
mentioned and get to the bottom of the question, or if there is simply a
tendency to replace one set of assumptions with another ?

One could actually contrive a tuning pin in a block fastened to a
<<plate>> that is strong enough not to give and take the entire
soundboard/bridge assembly out of the question.

One could actually measure any differences (if any) resulting from
different soundboard/bridge assembly types in similar fashion.

One could even take the cyclic pressures of wooden parts out of the
equation if one wanted to.

I would assume we dont really know because its not interesting enough a
question to warrant the time and eventual expense of really finding
out.  I mean ok... in passing its an interesting question, and fun to
toss around some ideas... reason a bit with some known facts.  I know
from experience for example that pianos with very very tight pins hold
seasonal pitch better then those that are just tight.  Now I havent
actually gone and done any controlled experiment to confirm this or
not... so I cant be certain.  But if its true then that points in the
direction of tuning pins having something to do with pitch loss.  The
reasoning relative to wood / seasonal changes below also lines up as a
good indicator.  But unless somebody actually takes the time to do a
series of controlled experiments to confirm things, there will always be
a significant element of the <<guess>> in any reasons we give as probable.

I would guess... :)... that pitch loss is a result of a conglomerate of
issues. But I dont really see what we can do about it beyond contriving
systems like DC units which demonstrably have a positive effect.

Cheers
RicB

/Then do you have a "combined" explanation of pitch drop over time?
/>/ />/ />/ Regards,
/>/ Don Rose
/