Starr console

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:06:11 -0800

Ed Cathwithen said: "I'm stuck.  The piano is a Starr Console piano.  =
The C1 note plays, but =3D
only softly.  If you play it and the surrounding notes quietly, it is =
=3D
just fine.  Play with more force and the other notes get louder, the C1 =
=3D
does not.  It feels as if the key is bottoming out before the hammer can =
=3D
reach the string.  The let off is correct.  I have removed the front =3D
rail felt and tried it that way, but still feels as if something is =3D
impeding the hammer in its motion.  The damper mechanism seems to be =3D
fine, the spoon is adjusted correctly.  I removed and replaced the =3D
whippen, and hammer, and all seems to be A-OK.  Nothing is broken and =
=3D
the flanges all are working easily.  The backcheck is adjusted all =3D
right.  It has been adjusted for lost motion.  I don't know what to =3D
check next.  Everything seems to working properly and adjusted =3D
correctly, yet something is keeping the hammer from contacting the =3D
string with the proper force.  Any ideas????"

Ed,
I'd be dollars to doughnuts the key is broken! Try pushing the front of =
the key down while holding the back of the key so it won't go up.
regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I