Baldwin Spinet Help

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:44:53 -0600

Look for a Barbie doll shoe down in the bowels of the thing.

Seriously, a couple of isolated keys that far off really screams "foreign
object" to me. Look between and under the keys, down along the drop wires,
and in the wippens, butts, and hammers.

Pencil, coin, hair pin, paper clip, dead mouse, live mouse, playing card,
tuner's business card, ear ring, bowling ball, ...

Also, check to see if the hammer return springs are in place. When one is
sticking out of place, it sometimes makes it's neighboring hammer hang up.

Let us know what you find.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of William R. Monroe
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2005 8:36 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Baldwin Spinet Help

Matthew,

Was it a Baldwin Acrosonic, by chance?  If so, you need to look under
Acrosonic (1981).

As far as the problem goes, lots of things, as you seem to know.  First
thing I would do is determine if it is in the key, or above the key.  Hold
the key in its up position, lift the action and watch the return.  If the
action returns normally when you hold the key up, it's in the key.  Check
front rail bushing, balance rail bushing, bal. rail hole, also check for
warped key sticks, rubbing against each other, preventing the return.

If it's in the action, I would again check for parts alignment first, to
ensure that parts are not rubbing where they shouldn't be.

It really becomes a game of isolation. Figuring out how to isolate different
aspects of the action and locate problems is a lifetime study.

Respectfully,
William R. Monroe