Flat Facts

Ron Berry ron@berrypiano.com
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:34:38 -0500

Dear Mystery writer.  The soundboard has a crown which makes it higher in
the center.  When the humidity goes up the wood expands and it can get
bigger sideways because it is constrained by the rim.  So it moves up adding
more crown.  This raises the bridge and since the strings are held by the
plate this puts more tension on them thus raising pitch.  The inverse
happens when the humidity goes down.  Some piano seem to go up and
down along the whole scale better than others.

I find the the last plain wires at the tenor break are the most prone to
change.  I believe this is because they are stretched to a very low percent of
their breaking point which makes a small change in tension have a bigger
affect on pitch.  The wound strings next to them, even if they are on the
tenor bridge stay in tune much better because they are at a higher percent
of the breaking point.

Also it may be that the soundboard is more flexible in the middle and that
affects the tuning stability also.  Bad scaling makes this worse.  The worst
example I can think of is the Yamaha GH-1.  This piano goes radically out
when the weather changes and it is because the break is clear down at B2
which is very low for such a small piano.

As far a you writing as a mystery writer, I have always felt that the only
stupid question is the one you didn't ask.  The whole point of a list like this is
to help pass information along to others not to prove how smart we are.
Most of us who have been around for a while only have this information
because someone else was there to answer our "stupid" questions.

Ron Berry