Bergman upright action problems

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:33:28 EST

In a message dated 3/24/05 7:07:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
cmpiano@comcast.net writes:

I had a problem with a console piano that was  similar.  I put small jiffy
leads on the back of the keys.  Solved  the problem.   BUTTTTT, now several
years later I think it may have  been tight action centers on the whippen.  Since
it obviously worked when  new, I doubt that drying out of the keys would cause
that much of a problem,  but if the whippen flange were creating drag the
whippen would not be free  enough to push the back of the key down.  Just a few
grams of friction  would cause that problem.

Carl,

The piano is new, which is one big reason why I didn't want to go with  jiffy
leads.  And it doesn't work.

The jack springs are weak, and the keys are inconsistently weighted...way
too much front lead.  I tested for tight wippen pinning by feel  without
removing the action, but I could feel only normal resistance.

If I didn't feel that the customers deserve to have something that actually
plays for their hard-earned money, I'd leave this one alone....(theme from
"Mission Impossible").

Jill, please pass the matches and lighter fluid.

Dave Stahl