Steinway with reverse crown

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 07:23:35 -0600

> At the California Conference, I attended a grand piano maintenance class
> sponsored and run by Steinway techs. I was surprised when they made a
> specific point of telling us that a piano under tension does not have to
> exhibit any crown, yet still sound and work just fine.

That's true, there doesn't have to be positive crown under bearing
for a piano to sound acceptable through varying dynamic ranges. If
the assembly is stiff enough, it will work. What this doesn't tell
you is the relationship between crown and bearing. Since crown under
compression (from bearing) serves to stiffen the assembly, it's
quite possible for a positive bearing load to have reached
equilibrium with soundboard crown deflection at a point of zero, or
even negative crown. Typically, the only reason crown and bearing
are checked at all in field work is if the sound of the piano
indicates a problem you are expected to fix. You and I have no idea
how many pianos we've heard that performed adequately for their use,
but had flat boards. It's when you start measuring crown and bearing
and correlating this against sound quality that you start to get a
picture of how it works.

> This wasn't in response to any questions, it was a topic on their agenda!

Baldwin tech always said the same thing. The above being the case
makes this a very handy escape clause. Since you can't tell much
about the condition of the soundboard by measuring crown (ignoring
bearing), the sound production problems in octave 5 that you are
phoning tech support about, must be hammer voicing problems. When
voicing doesn't get it, it must need the attention of a REAL
Steinway tech.

> They also said that it might explain why some pianos are so reactive to
> seasonal changes while others, e.g. Acrosonic, tend to be more stable.
>
> Hmmmm ....
>
> Alan R. Barnard

It might? What might that explanation be?
Ron N