Muted

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:24:34 -0700

Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 5:49 PM
  Subject: FW: Answer to an Anonymous Lurking Newbie

  This came to me privately, thought I'd answer out loud tho, as others =
might benefit:=20

  "...I've been taking the Potter course, and have been lurking on the =
piano-tech list for some time now.  I will try to keep this short, I =
always enjoy reading your post, and would like to ask you something ... =
I know basic questions on the list tend to get smart ass remarks from =
some! (WHO, US???, Ed) ... I'm trying to get a proficient tool kit set =
up for the field, and would like to here what you think would be a must =
have on the job!!!!  Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!!  Thanks =
in advance!!!"      =20

  Well I'm not sure you've asked the right person! My modus operendi, so =
far, has been to blow bucks on every tool that comes down the pike ... =
then have quite a collection of stuff I never use! I think ol' Randy =
even warned about that in his course, but it didn't stop me.

  Let's take it in stages:

  How long have you been involved? Are you "out there" tuning? What is =
your plan, e.g., to be a field tuner, do rebuilding, etc?

  This topic comes up now and again on the list. You're right, though, =
if you had asked, someone would likely have said "check the archives." =
Have you done that? They are located at =
https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/

  Type in search words like 'basic tools', 'tools I wouldn't be =
without', etc., and see what you can find. Then let's "talk" some more.

  The first bit I'd suggest, though, is to go slowly in aquiring =
tools--not only for the expense but so you don't become a collector, =
too. 'Frinstance, I worked for about two years propping upright lids =
against the customer's wall with a towel or something to avoid =
scratches. Then I bought a lid prop devise from Bill Spurlock and use it =
all the time. Another little secret (and the prop is a good example) is =
that you can fabricate or adapt a lot of things without paying the big =
bucks to buy someone elses.

  Here's another example. In the Potter-supplied tools, you probably got =
a small punch for removing center pins. This works fine. Someday, when =
you are rebuilding an action or something, you'll want to get one of the =
fancy tools that remove pins on one side and insert them with the other, =
etc. Then you'll have that tool and never use the punch again. But for =
now ...

  You need some key cauls for replacing key bushings. But mostly you =
just need one or two of the .146" size for field repairs. (Spurlock =
sells a little bag of singles in different sizes just for this) But wait =
until you have sold a complete rebushing job before buying whole sets of =
cauls, or electric irons for removing felt, etc., etc.

  In other words, let the jobs pay for themselves as much as possible =
while you concentrate on making money doing things you know how to do.

  One other critical point, I think, is to always buy quality tools. =
Cheap stuff will let you down. This is especially true in things like =
pliers, vise-grips, hammers, etc.

  And finally, for this round, be sure and go out right away and buy a =
Papps Treble Mute. Everybody has one. Almost no one uses them. Many =
don't even know how to use them. But they are a pretty blue color and =
you don't want to be the only guy in PTG without one, do you??? <G>

  Alan R. Barnard
  Salem, MO

  --