Steinway with reverse crown

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:00:45 -0500

I changed the  name of the subject  line because a Steinway with reverse =
crown has nothing to do with a subject line "New Baldwin"  Please follow =
questions interspersed below.   ---ric=20

I had a new Steinway with the exact same circumstances (full =
quarter-inch reverse crown). Stenway wouldn't do anything because their =
opinion was that there was nothing wrong with the piano.

Terry Farrell

How did you determine this? =20

What? The reverse crown, or the Steinway opinion? Okay, okay, I simply =
stretched a string tight across the back of the soundboard until it =
touched in the center (or there abouts) of the panel and observed that =
the ends were a good (or bad) quarter-inch off the panel.=20

 =20

The condition you describe, it seems would tend to  pull the strings up =
off the bridge pins or be pulling the pins out of the bridge.

No, it wouldn't do that at all. In my original post I stated that there =
was plenty of downbearing. It would appear that the board was =
reversed-crowned prior to bridge installation. =20

Was this across the whole bridge?=20

Don't remember - it was before I got into piano technology. I doubt I =
measured between all ribs. But a reverse crown between any ribs clearly =
suggests a real mess.

What model?=20

As stated in original post, 1098 - 46" studio.

How new?=20

As stated in original post, new, new, new, only weeks old (at least from =
original purchase) when measurements made.

Was it sold? =20

As stated in original post, I bought it - waddaya mean?

How was the bass bearing. =20

Don't know for sure - my recollection is not clear on that - but I =
remember downbearing in general was okay.

Do you mean =BC reverse bearing? =20

As stated in original post, downbearing was fine - normal. What would =
1/4 reverse bearing be?

Did SnS have a tech of their own evaluate the piano after you? =20

Yes. Even John Patton - I think he was the head of S&S concert techs (or =
something like that).

Do you mean if you loosened the string and took it off the bridge pins =
then pulled it back up, the bridge would be =BC inch below the level of =
the string?

NO! The downbearing was fine. It would appear that the board was =
reversed-crowned prior to bridge installation (most likely explanation). =
=20

If so I would like to come and take pictures.=20

---ric   =20

Well, you probably could - a couple months ago I saw the same old piano =
still for sale at the local Steinway dealer - I think they were asking =
$18K for it! You'd have to talk to them about the photo shoot though. =
Somehow I suspect they might not be too interested in it.

Oh, BTW, I have at least a dozen 8 x 10 color glossy photos with circles =
and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one that fairly clearly =
detail the troubled saga of this piano.

Terry Farrell =20