Stickers inside pianos

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 03:16:02 -0800 (PST)

While I consider having a database at home mandatory, I agree with Ron that having a modicum amount of info at the piano can be significantly helpful, particularly in cases where you are servicing the piano for the first time.  David I's suggestion of the pouch (uprights) by far makes the most sense to me in that a) it is easily seen by the tech; b) allows for numerous detailed postings in one unobtrusive location; and c) gives a 'history-at-a-glance'.  A few older uprights even have a handy wooden 'pouch' as original equipment - unusually accommodating!  Of course this requires we approach pianos armed with pouches, which hasn't happened in MY lifetime, so it remains a good idea waiting to be implemented.  Another round tuit patiently waiting.  Until then I continue to use the business card method - it's too easy.

Thanks for the tip about the 31/2" floppy containers, David.  I'm gonna check 'em out.... one of these days....

Mark Potter

Ron Nossaman <rnossaman@cox.net> wrote:
> Well, if you have to use a sticker... don't they custom print stickers
> with that Post-It note adhesive?

I don't know. I never looked into it. The PTG, however, does print
pressure sensitive stickers, or something as crude as printer labels
or masking tape will serve quite adequately to stick the information
to the piano in an out of sight location. Whatever. It's not for
anyone but the tech, and I want it to stay there dependably.

> Personally, I like the magnetic card idea the best. All pianos have
> iron in them! ;-)

And how do you record information on the magnetic card? It's the
tuning and climate information that's the important part for the
stealth sticker. Not the name of the tuner. Again, this isn't for
advertising. It's a tuning record.

> I can see the usefulness of leaving behind notes, but wouldn't it be
> better to keep a database with customer records? When Mrs. Peabody
> calls you regarding a problem with her piano that you serviced last
> month, wouldn't you rather have her records on your computer, rather
> than inside her piano???

Not in my opinion. I'd prefer to have the data with the piano, on
site, without wasting time unnecessarily looking it up in a database
beforehand that has probably evaporated in the last operating system
crash. By all means, keep whatever records you like at home, but I
appreciate (and supply) the tuning and climate history right there
in the piano. I expect it's just me (as usual), but I'd prefer to be
anal about something interesting, rather than this sort of thing. A
few seconds of data entry on a record that stays with the piano will
be potentially valuable information for anyone who is at some future
point in the presence of the piano and trying to make sense of some
tuning or regulation anomaly. I consider keeping the tuning record
in a private database more a case of the dog marking territory than
keeping it in the piano where it can do whoever might wander by and
benefit from it some good.

> Again, just my thoughts...

And again, just mine...

Ron N