Voicing old Yamaha hammers

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:22:55 -0800

You said it, "I don't have much experience in voicing..."  =
 Steaming isn't going to help that experience...so I suggest you=
 do some old fashion needle work after filing, fitting the=
 strings etc...try one stitch behind each string line...you=
 should still see some sort of string line after filing.   Listen=
 to the changes.  Add stitches next to the others as you go.  You=
 will be amazed at the tone changes even though you aren't=
 working on the strike point.   Also check the archives...

David Ilvedson

Original message
From: Cy Shuster <741662027@theshusters.org>
To: Pianotech
Subject: Voicing old Yamaha hammers

Had a new customer today with a 1974 Yamaha C3 that does a=
 perfect banjo imitation.  String cuts in the hammers aren't too=
 bad.  I don't have much experience in voicing, but it seems that=
 this is a good place to start; in the worst case, I hang new=
 hammers and everyone's happy.

I'll begin with reshaping the hammers and leveling the strings,=
 and see how far that takes me.  Would steam be a next step, or=
 go right for the needles?  Any specific suggestions for these=
 hammers?

Thanks as always,

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV