Ad Prices for Yellow Pages

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:35:49 -0700

Elwood,
    Advertising the "RPT" designation is a good thing for the industry,
even if readers don't have the foggiest notion of the import. The directory
can offer a "trade listing" under "Piano Tuning", and it establishes
credibility without the cost of a display ad. Very economical in most
markets. Trade listings are like dealers have for example: "Yamaha Pianos"
or "Chevrolet Automobiles" in bold with italic "authorized dealers" in the
column. I've used trade listings for years, even when I "owned" the page
years ago with sales, service, moving, refinishing, renting, etc. The ad
reps kept coming up with "free" listings until we ran out of categories.
   Ironically, the new book here just came out, and the new rep screwed-up
and put me in the trade listing under "Associate Members". So... one short
phone call, and my ad is free until next March. Oh well.
   Ultimately, I believe an unlisted phone number is an enviable goal. When
you think about it, at some point you should have plenty of business by
sheer momentum.
   On the other hand.... a trade listing DOES increase awareness of the
Guild, and I think we should all attempt to aid that effort.
   Comments about self-promotion to the public are right on, also, but as
far as Yellow print ads, I'd suggest asking about the trade listing. You
should also check out the Guild Advertising Guidelines, of course.
Non-negotiable.

Good fortune on ya!,
Guy Nichols, RPT
Trade Relations Committee, PTG