Stickers inside pianos

Geoff Sykes ivories.52@earthlink.net
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:33:10 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Most office supply stores sell business card size refrigerator type magnets. They're inexpensive and come in packets of 25 or 50. One side is the magnet part and the other side is peel off sticky so you can attach your business card. I find that attaching one of these to some innocuous part of the plate, and then pointing it out to the client as a resource for where to always be able to find my name and number works quite well. It doesn't make any noise, it doesn't mess up the piano, you can write notes on it if you like, it's not going to move around or fall off into the works, and if the client, or a subsequent tuner, doesn't like it they can easily remove it with no leftover anything.

-- Geoff Sykes
Los Angeles

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry <terry@farrellpiano.com>
Sent: Mar 23, 2005 11:29 AM
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Stickers inside pianos

Amen Sarah. Before I got into this business I had just bought a brand new
1098. I used to open it up and admire the beautiful insides - kinda like
admiring the chrome on a Ferrari engine. The tuner came for our one free
tuning and when done ALMOST attached his PTG sticker to the pinblock. I
almost broke his arm stopping him - not really, but I was definitely fuming.

My recommendation, if you want to use a sticker, is to at least ask before
applying.

Unless, of course, it is a 1948 Story & Clark spinet or some-such.

Terry Farrell

> Personally, I get a bit ticked when I see a tuner's adhesive sticker
> plastered on/in a piano.  Stickers are fine for furnaces and garbage
> disposals, but we're talking about a piano.  Stickers are tacky and are
less
> than respectful to the piano (and the owner), IMO.  Of course that's not
as
> bad as tuners who scribble on nonreplaceable parts!  (Piano graffiti.)
IMO,
> if you repair/replace it, you're entitled to leave your mark on it.  If
all
> you do is turn pins, permanently branding the piano is bad form.  It's a
bit
> like a dog marking a tree.
>
> I respet the tuners who leave business cards under the lids of uprights.
It