Weber Action Brackets?

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:26:39 -0600

Terry,

Yes a 10-year-old Weber was made by Young Chang - according to Larry Fine they've been doing it since 1986.  I only have one Weber bracket experience (or 1/2, since it's not over yet) involving a piano from 1992.  Can't tell you when techs generally became aware of the brackets, having only recently become aware of techs myself.   I sincerely hope the '97 action repair was to take care of the bracket problem, else you are headed for a frustrating can of worms.

good luck on Thursday

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Terry
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 3/22/2005 2:15:45 PM
Subject: Weber Action Brackets?

Was a ten-year-old Weber grand made by Young Chang?

When was the YC growing action bracket widely known? Was it general knowledge within PTG circles as far back as 1997?

Got a call from a lady who has a 10-15-yo Weber grand. She will be having a party in 2-1/2 weeks and will be hiring a professional pianist to play. The piano has not been touched in many years. We made an appointment for two days before the party - although she expressed concern about being sure the piano was playable - what if it needs repairs - I told her not too many 10-yo pianos will need major repairs.

About five seconds after hanging up, I remembered this was likely a YC and potentially from the growing action bracket years. I called her back and asked her to play all the notes for me. Sounded like at least a few of them were blocking (or at least something very bad). She told me another tech had "completely redone" the action 8 years ago (such major repairs that he had to "send it out"), but the tech had since passed away. I just happened to have the records for that tech, and sure enough back in '97 he has notes about an "action repair" and "action regulation" for this piano - but no details regarding exactly what the repairs were.

So being that we might be looking at a bracket replacement job, we moved the appointment up to this Thursday to hopefully allow for needed repairs. If anyone can provide me a heads-up on my couple questions, I sure would appreciate it.

BTW, the only reason I am reasonably well informed about the YC action bracket situation is this Pianotech List. Thanks all.

Terry Farrell