Bridge Notching Chisels

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:34:59 -0500

I use a set of Mazzaglia's big fat  (and small fat) chisels and the Japanese
paring chisel that Del noted - I bought that a couple years ago on his
recommendation. Below is a direct link to that chisel:
http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=14.309.24&dept_id=12796

I like all of them and I use different ones in different situations. I think
Ron had it right - the best chisel is the one that feels right and produces
good results. I can't really even state why I use the different chisels -
even when I am notching, I don't really know why I move from one chisel to
the other - however, I can say that I tend to use the Mazzaglia big chisel
for much of the rough notching process and then use either the Mazzaglia
smaller chisel or, most often, the paring chisel for most of the finer work.

If I was going  to try to get by with only one chisel, I would get the
Del-recommneded Japanese paring chisel.

But Del, how can you have your paring chisel in use at half-length? That
chisel has a big hollow on the back side, such that after grinding off a
centimeter or so, you will be grinding into the hollow - and then you'll
have a curved edge. Why on earth do they make that hollow on the back side
of the chisels?

Terry Farrell