Bridge Notching Chisels

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:15:17 -0600

> Power notcher, Ron?  Please elaborate.  Pictures?  I'm having some trouble
> visualizing how to make this process more automated.
>
> William R. Monroe

Something I built. Router powered small shaper cutter, timing belt
driven at 6000 rpm or thereabout. Linear bearing slide, to pull the
cutter into the bridge, and a pneumatic ram to clamp the bridge
while the cut is being made. The silly thing actually worked the
first time. Makes an amazing mess of chips very quickly. Being
cautious, it took me about an hour for a set of bridges. I'll get
some pictures and post them.

This isn't something you can do in the piano, incidentally, but
bridge-in-hand before it's glued on the board.
Ron N