Jar of Water in Piano--Truth or myth?

Robert Wilson pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:59:44 +0000 (GMT)

I have always thought that water in a piano is a bad
idea.  If the humidity is too low then the air around
the piano, i.e. the whole room needs humidifying.  My
humidifier puts out several pints of water over a
couple of days at times of low humidity.  A jam jar of
water is going to do nothing, especially if at the end
of the day most of the water is still in the jam jar!

People that continually put water in a piano usually
end up with rusty strings.

Bob Wilson
London.