Impact Tuning Lever

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:16:32 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Actually, it sure would help on the grand high treble and in places where they've put the piano in a corner!

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: "William R. Monroe" <pianotech@a440piano.net>
Sent: Mar 19, 2005 3:32 PM
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Impact Tuning Lever

Alan,

I do think ambidextrous tuning is a good practice, for many reasons.  That
said, however, I must respectfully say that I think all any technician needs
is properly developed technique.  Tuning right or left handed should make no
difference so long as the technician compensates for the physics of the
hammer position, movement, etc.

Sometimes, this is a conscious process; e.g. while tuning right handed on a
vertical, we understand that pulling the pin down a bit will result in a
(relatively) higher pitch when released - all other things being equal - so
we compensate by not pulling above pitch as much prior to setting.  This is
a bit oversimplified, but I think you get the idea.  I would expect that
mostly it is subconscious.  Whichever hand anyone uses to tune is
irrelevant.  It is my position that knowing how the piano responds to your
particular tuning technique IS relevant and is what makes for a good tuning.
An ambidextrous technician should be equally capable of tuning grands or
uprights with either hand, in my opinion.

William R. Monroe