Increasing Crown

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:13:51 +1100

Dale and all,

The idea for adding crowned ribs to an existing=20
flat board was entirely the idea of David Kinney.

I must admit that when David mentioned that he=20
wanted to add auxiliary ribs, I thought it was so=20
much trouble, and difficult to get them in the=20
high treble, that I felt it would be easier to=20
rip the board out and build another one.

But I agreed that if he was prepared to endure=20
such an experiment, that it would certainly be=20
worth a try. He marked out the location areas for=20
the ribs and cleaned off the finish, then wedged=20
the board up using the back braces to=20
approximately match the crown of the machined=20
ribs. The auxiliary ribs were fitted to the board=20
by screwing them through the panel. After the=20
glue dried he removed the screws and doweled the=20
hole using hammer shank.

I haven't seen the piano yet. But everything=20
David does is executed to the highest standards.=20
So you can be sure that the work will look very=20
tidy.

I'll be travelling to his home workshop (1.5 hrs=20
west into the mountains from Sydney) to see the=20
piano as soon as the action is done. I'll forward=20
a report to the list once I've seen and heard it.

Best,
Ron O.

PS. A few responses to Dale's post below.

>   Great post. my cup o tea
>    I'm Interested in the Mechanics of how this=20
>was accomplished with the board still in the=20
>piano. Ie. How were these ribs  attached ?=20
>Removing the old finish neatly to get  a good=20
>glue bond ?how you determined the size & height=20
>of ribs & what consideration did you give to the=20
>effects of the old ribs that were flattened and=20
>pulling the crown down.

The height and width of the ribs was determined=20
by the physical space available regarding height.=20
The width of 15 mm was arrived at after=20
considering the two conflicting interests of=20
making them as thin as possible to reduce the=20
added weight, while providing sufficient gluing=20
area to ensure a successful joint. After some=20
discussion we arrived at 30 mm deep by 15 mm wide.

>  I assume this is a CC board to begin with.

It would largely have been CC, although I=20
understand that B=F6sendorfer do crown their ribs,=20
so it may well have been a combo CC part Rib=20
supported.

>Putting on new finish with beams and all in the way.

Yes I know, what a pain.

>Pictures would be facinating.

David's got a Canon 300D, so I'm sure he won't=20
mind taking a few images once its all done. I=20
could post them to our website for all to see.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers

Web http://overspianos.com.au