Jar of Water in Piano--Truth or myth?

tom driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:15:39 -0500

  Subject: Re: Jar of Water in Piano--Truth or myth?

  Greetings,

            I put jars of water in my piano. I have been doing it even =
before I became a piano tech. I think it helps. When the heat goes on in =
Oct or so, that jar's water dissipates more than the summer months, I =
think it has to account for some effect.

  Julia,
  Reading, PA

  Julia,
      The evaporation from a small standing jar of water might be a =
quart in a season.
      The evaporation from a room humidifier can be a quart in one night =

      I fill my Dampp Chaser humidifier at least once a week with over a =
quart of water .
      The jars of water have an effect so minimal as to be unmeasurable.
      Some  little old ladies in my practice insist on doing this =
because old dead Mr. Tuneman told them it was a good idea,=20
      but I personally would chuck those jars.
      Best wishes,
     =20
      Tom Driscoll RPT