Impact Tuning Lever

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 05:53:53 -0500

A while ago I posted questions regarding purchase of an impact tuning =
lever. I've been using it for a few months now and just thought I would =
report in.

For a couple years now I have been rastling with some kind of =
torn/strained muscle/tendon in my shoulder (thanks to a Boston studio & =
a 1098 on the same day) and tendonitis in the elbow - both in my tuning =
arm. It had gotten to the point where I had walked away from several =
service appointments because I knew tuning that piano would put me out =
of work for some weeks.

I've been using the impact lever for pitch raises on all vertical pianos =
unless they have very low-torque tuning pins. I use my trusty =
Renner/Bowman lever for tuning verticals and everything on grands. I =
pitch-raised Kimball and Baldwin consoles yesterday - both were raised =
more than 100 cents - they both got two pitch-raise passes and then a =
tuning pass. Both these pianos had excessively tight tuning pins - =
easily around 200+ in-lbs. I used the impact lever for these four =
pitch-raise passes and I have no arm pain today at all. The impact lever =
seems to have saved me!

I impact the bass with my left hand and the rest of the scale with my =
right - I'm trying to train myself to become ambidextrous with the =
impact lever - again, in case I wreck an arm at some point I could keep =
tuning. I can see that it will take quite a bit of practice to become =
good at fine tuning with the impact lever, but I think using it for all =
vertical pitch raises will eventually get me to the point where I can =
start attempting using the impact lever for fine tuning - I would like =
to get to the point where I can use it for all vertical tuning.

Bottom line: the impact lever has saved my arm, avoided interruptions in =
income, and will likely extend my tuning career (unless soundboard =
manufacturing can save me from the spinet devils!). I am very happy I =
have started using this great tool!

Terry Farrell