Overpulling a Steinway

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:38:56 -0500

  -----Subject: Overpulling a Steinway

  Greetings,=20

             Is it possible that I pulled this one Steinway console over =
pitch when I did a pitch raise last year? When I left the piano last =
March I had it up to A-440, and when I went back this year it was 8-9 =
beats sharp across the board.  Is it possible the thing could have =
"crept up"???=20
             The owner told me that she had someone else in to tune it =
in September again. I think the other tuner over pulled it, but am not =
so sure about that. Since Steinways are notoriously "friction" pianos =
maybe all the notes' tension "equalized" between the da capo and the =
pin, causing it to sharpen acros the board.=20

  Julia,=20
  Reading, PA=20
     =20
  Julia,
      Here in Massachusetts relative humidity is still low in march. =
(29%) in my last clients home today.
      Any piano pitch raised to 440 in march will be sharp in June-July. =
How sharp is variable but inevitable without climate control.
      Here in 2004 we had a VERY rainy spring and a pitch raised piano =
could go 25 cents sharp or more.
      We don't know what the other tuner did, but he or she could have =
tuned it sharp in anticipation of the heat coming on, or pulled it down =
to pitch in one pass.If so the piano would have been sharp again before =
the day was out.
      My point here is that the RH is the most likely reason ,combined =
with the unknown acts of the mystery tuner.
      While  healthy to question ones practices, this is one =
circumstance where too many variables and too much time has gone by to =
make any determination on your initial work.Trust yourself  and your =
work !
      As an aside , I would politely ask why another tuner was called in =
and secondly why the client didn't stay with that tuner.
      This may be a client who regards the piano tuner as one would a =
gas station and use whomever comes to mind.
      This happens to us all ,no matter how conscientious our work is,  =
Its up to you if this is a client with whom you wish to do business .
      Best wishes,
     =20
      Tom Driscoll RPT
     =20