Glue on PTG Technical Exam

Israel Stein custos3@comcast.net
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:41:12 -0800

At 07:20 AM 3/18/2005, John Ross wrote:

>I was told the reason the white glue was used, was to allow the rebushed
>flange, to be undone, and used again. It wasn't meant to be permanent.
>That is what I was told, when I did the technical part of the exam.
>
>John M. Ross
>Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada

John is absolutely correct. The reason certain glues have to be used on the
PTG Technical Exam is because of the circumstances of the exam require it -
not necessarily because that is the glue that the PTG recommends for the
job. Because the exam has time limits, the glue has to be fairly
quick-setting. But because the repairs have to be taken apart for scoring
or in order for the jigs to be re-used, it cannot be irreversible. The
examiner should explain this during the exam. Now that we are switching to
a system of Certified Technical Examiners, rather than letting any RPT
administer the exam (starting April 30), we hope that all future examinees
will get all the information they are entitled to (including this bit).

Israel Stein
Chair, Technical Exam Subcommittee
ETSC - PTG