String Replacing Annoyance / Action Problem

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:23:01 -0800

One thing you can do is cut a slot down from the top of the pin down to
the becket on your dummy pin.  That way, after the coil is wound, it
will slide up and off the pin.  While you still have to bend it out
slightly to get it onto the pin that's in the piano, it's a bit easier.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:00 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: String Replacing Annoyance / Action Problem

Matthew,

Ditto to David's post on pre-coiling...I did a bunch of strings
yesterday(see previous post "all strung out") and I pre-coiled every
string, even the lowest A.  The core wire is a bit stiff down there, but
it's quite doable.

Pre-coiling saves a tremendous amount of time and effort.  The only hard
parts are getting the becket out of the dummy on the thicker gauges,
then getting it back into the pin on the piano if you've bent the wire
into a pretzel....almost nothing is unsalvageable, though!

>>When I play a single note on my piano, the hammer strikes the string
and then very lazily does not rebound, but kind of floats between the
string and rest rail.  I have to release the key, and then flick the
hammer back to it's rest position before I play the note again.  What do
you think could be the problem?  I have several ideas, but I want to be
sure.  You should of seen me during my tuning practice today!  Kind of
annoying.>>

Are the hammer return springs in the butt-groove??  If it's a Yamaha,
are the cord springs broken.  Learning to trouble shoot this stuff is
crucial to servicing piano.  Does the key fall back, leaving the hammer
hanging, or is there excess friction in the key?  Work front to back,
eliminating one thing at a time.

Good luck,

Dave Stahl

In a message dated 3/17/05 6:10:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,