String Replacing Annoyance / Action Problem

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:00:14 EST

Matthew,

Ditto to David's post on pre-coiling...I did a bunch of strings
yesterday(see previous post "all strung out") and I pre-coiled every string,  even the
lowest A.  The core wire is a bit stiff down there, but it's quite  doable.

Pre-coiling saves a tremendous amount of time and effort.  The only  hard
parts are getting the becket out of the dummy on the thicker gauges,  then
getting it back into the pin on the piano if you've bent the wire into a
pretzel....almost nothing is unsalvageable, though!

>>When I play a single note on my piano, the hammer strikes the  string and
then very lazily does not rebound, but kind of floats between the  string and
rest rail.  I have to release the key, and then flick the hammer  back to it's
rest position before I play the note again.  What do you think  could be the
problem?  I have several ideas, but I want to be sure.   You should of seen me
during my tuning practice today!  Kind of  annoying.>>

Are the hammer return springs in the butt-groove??  If it's a Yamaha,  are
the cord springs broken.  Learning to trouble shoot this stuff is  crucial to
servicing piano.  Does the key fall back, leaving the hammer  hanging, or is
there excess friction in the key?  Work front to back,  eliminating one thing at
a time.

Good luck,

Dave Stahl

In a message dated 3/17/05 6:10:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,