Yamaha U1

Quentin Codevelle quentin.codevelle@tiscali.fr
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:54:35 +0100

Hi David,

It seems in the US that the 2 pedals lyra instead of 3 is a clue to =
determine if one piano is from the grey market or not.

I'm in France, and I've worked 3 years for a dealer that sells grey =
market Yamaha and Kawai, and I've often seen Yamaha or Kawai grands with =
3 pedals.

Jere:

When checking at an upright to see if it is grey market or not, I would =
check:
-The hammer heads: sometimes the felt unglues from the wooden core, just =
behind the staple
-The hammer shanks: some pianos had their hammer heads changed, and you =
can see the marks left by the hammer head extractor on the shanks (that =
are the original shanks)
-The bridle straps : they are often totally ruined
-The bass strings : they are often tubby, they don't sound at all
-The butt catcher skin: are usually showing a huge wear, as well as the =
backcheck felt.

Sometimes you can have only a few symptoms on a single piano, and =
sometimes you can have all of this at the same time.
And very rarely, the piano looks just fine, but it is an exception, =
then.

Bye,

Quentin