All strung out

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:51:47 EST

List,

I started a very long day by putting 10 new low bass monochords on a
Steinway M.  Two of the old ones had broken at the beckets about a month  ago when I
backed them out tried to back them out to give their sorry dead coils  a
twist.  Fortunately, I was able to convince her to go for a whole set of
monochords (the bichords should have some life for awhile).  Did the whole  bunch
without a putting a bloody string hole in my finger.

Last job of the day--after tuning a couple of forgettable consoles--was
putting a new wire each on three different pianos at a local university.   One was
the practice concert "D" S and S, the other two were "Bs" in a piano
professor's private studio.  So why did they have to break when their  regular
tech(my friend, a private contractor) was on vacation??  I see  it as good
experience, good PR, and good contacts (and still no finger  holes).

The experience gave me an appreciation for all of you University techs out
there.  Things have to happen NOW, or better yet, YESTERDAY!  EVeryone  was
nice, yet neurotic, about getting these instruments up and running.   How do you
do it every day?  Still, there is something about knowing  exactly where your
paycheck is coming from, and getting health and vacation  benefits from your
employer.

Strung out and sleepy in Santa Clara,

Dave Stahl

The school does not have a full-time technician.  It contracts out to  my
friend, who was on vacation.