Increasing Crown

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:57:27 +1100

Hello all (and Dale, who I've CC'd since he could be off list at present)

A re-crowning exercise.

A local colleague, David Kinney, is currently=20
rebuilding a B=F6sendorfer (late-ish model 200,=20
about 20 year old example I think). The sound=20
board was collapsed but otherwise without any=20
visible panel defects. As an exercise in sound=20
board re-crowning, he commissioned us to build=20
him a set of crowned sitka ribs for fitting in=20
between the originals. We made them 30 mm high in=20
the middle by 15 mm wide, so as to maximise the=20
added stiffness without adding too much weight to=20
the board.  We made them only long enough to=20
match the un-feathered lengths of the adjacent=20
original ribs

I understand that the result is very successful.=20
After doing the usual total internal refinish he=20
has reset the down bearing throughout, which=20
required a considerable packing height for most=20
string sections. He says that about 50% of the=20
unstrung downbearing angle sunk out once the=20
piano was pulled to pitch, which is about on par=20
with new factory boards. I haven't heard the=20
piano yet as he is still doing the action. It'll=20
be interesting to hear it once its up and running.

Ron O.

An excellent post Terry,

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY