Increasing Crown

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:16:51 -0500

Oh I've got pretty thick skin. I actually saved that post - I felt like =
maybe it was a statement that I've finally arrived! I had never been =
accused of that before! I've never thought anything is below me, I still =
work on spinets - but there are definitely things that I am finding less =
satisfying (i.e. spinets and band-aiding-to-death old worn-out =
uprights).

Regarding old upright, my thoughts are really less about patching up a =
soundboard and more about the general condition of the entire beast. =
What good is it going to do to improve a soundboard on one of these =
great-a-hundred-years-ago uprights when the hammers are nubs and don't =
all hit the right strings, all the action centers are loose, the bridge =
is cracked, the hammer butts are worn through, the pinblock is shot, the =
keys are all wiggley, action parts fly off while tuning, strings don't =
render worth a hoot, it's plagued with false beats, etc. The soundboard =
is the least of that piano's problems. Who cares if it has lost its =
crown? Replacing keytops and rebushing keys would likely do more to =
improve most old uprights than farting around with the soundboard - but =
even then, you still have all the other things. Sorry to say, but I =
often find myself recommending to old upright owners that they would be =
much better off finding a (cough-choke) "nice" 20-year-old Kimball =
console for $500 or $600 than trying to patch up the old upright. The =
quality old upright, IMHO, simply does not need $500 worth of band-aids, =
it needs $20K of remanufacturing.

And as far as "I think Terry's statement was informative of his position =
on the subject, how else to express it?" goes - that cuts to the heart =
of the matter - how else to express it? I really think folks need to =
lighten up a bit. Folks state opinions on this list. They share the =
approach they take to address various situations. It doesn't mean they =
are saying that any other approach is bad. We just had a thread about =
action center cloth - some like the Renner pre-glued stuff - someone =
posted that the plain cloth works well. Is that guy stupid because he =
doesn't use the same cloth as me? I don't think so. Do I think it is =
ridiculous to take the time to put two dabs of glue on the cloth for =
each flange? Well, actually I do think it's ridiculous - but that's just =
me - at the same time, I also know that guy may even do it that way and =
still be faster than me and his bushings are great. Nothing wrong with =
ten techs doing something ten different ways. I guess that's what I'm =
trying to say here - when you read someone's statement about how they do =
something or what they would do or not do, just realize that most of the =
time that's all they are saying - a statement about what they do - they =
are not (usually) saying that you shouldn't do it some other way!

As far as participating on this list goes - I'll have to get a whole lot =
smarter than I am now to ever get offended. When someone suggests that =
something I said was stupid or wrong or bad, I figure they are probably =
right (.....not!). So how could I get upset? I think I can understand =
how someone with a lot of knowledge and experience (obviously, not me) =
can get frustrated with people constantly suggesting that their whole =
approach to piano work is baseless. As one researches and experiments =
and observes over many years, they really can't avoid forming some =
pretty firm opinions on how things work and what works and what doesn't. =
And sure, they will tend to state maybe somewhat forcefully what their =
opinions are (and maybe even state it as fact - so what? - it is to them =
- hey, some people even make the bold statement that the theory of =
evolution is a fact!). But why some find the need to challenge these =
opinions, I don't know. If a response is to better understand the =
subject matter, that is one thing, but it seems it is sometimes to =
simply tell the other person they are wrong - and such an approach can =
only end up being divisive and argumentative.

Enough gibberish for now.

Terry Farrell

> I'm watching this thread with interest because of egos not subject. =
Thump,