Spinet backchecks was New Yamaha M500: "damper rest rail"?

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:38:54 -0500

MessageThat's too funny!  So I wasn't far off with my toothpick after =
all?  :-)

Thanks... I consider it a challenge to get these things to play as well =
as they can.

--Cy--
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 8:33 PM
  Subject: Spinet backchecks was New Yamaha M500: "damper rest rail"?=20

  Cy asked: Which reminds me, how the heck do you adjust the backchecks =
on a spinet?  I can hardly get a toothpick between the stickers, much =
less my wire bender...

  If they are all messed up, it's easiest to remove the action and =
adjust side-to-side and approximate front-to-back on an action cradle. =
Also, square the heads.. Then, in the piano, you adjust front-to-back =
(for checking distance) with a stick.=20

  I kid you not. You can make your own stick (tool)--there's a pattern =
for it in the Potter School literature--or the Goosemeister sells one =
at: http://www.mothergoosetools.com/other_tools/other.shtml

  "Fine regulation" and "drop action" aren't really terms that go =
together so this procedure works "well enough."

  Have fun.

  Alan R. Barnard
  Salem, MO