Squeak in unacorda of S & S, B

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:38:31 -0400

Thanks, Roger.
The history on this piano is strange, keeps on changing.
I had been told that 2 people went to Steinway in New York to pick out this piano, that was being bequeathed.
I found out today from the people that delivered it, that it came from out West, and apparently someone from Steinway, was to come tune it and set it up.
I don't know what happened.
I offered to go back again tomorrow, and try some other things, no answer. So maybe they are getting the "Steinway Guy" again, and I don't know of any "Steinway Guy" in this Province.
Whatever happened, I wanted to be there, when it was fixed, as I am really curious. So I hope, I find out more.

Thank you to all, who offered suggestions.

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Roger Jolly
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 11:08 AM
  Subject: Re: Squeak in unacorda of S & S, B

    Oh did I say, that by lifting very slightly, on the left side of the action, the squeak disappeared, and that is what led me to the glide bolt?
    It didn't seem loose when I turned it, it wasn't tight either, I used a 4" crescent.
    John M. Ross
    Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada

  Hi John,
                    Lifting very slightly at the front rail will relax a little pressure at the back rail, This could be the  dags causing the problem.
  Did you check the back rail/keybed fitting with a long screwdriver at each action bracket?
    Another thing to check.   Is the strike point correct?  Steinway's have NO Dag screws.  Some times if the action is too far back, the frame and dag will bind.   Adjust and check.
  Because of the bowed front rail, and no Dag screws, the final checks must always be done with the cheek blocks securely fastened down.
  Fitting Steinway key frames, is not always easy. >:-o

  Just more food for thought.
  Now you really owe me a Dram.
  Roger