Squeak in unacorda of S & S, B

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:08:11 -0600

>Oh did I say, that by lifting very slightly, on the left side of the
>action, the squeak disappeared, and that is what led me to the glide bolt?
>It didn't seem loose when I turned it, it wasn't tight either, I used a 4"
>crescent.
>John M. Ross
>Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada

Hi John,
                   Lifting very slightly at the front rail will relax a
little pressure at the back rail, This could be the  dags causing the problem.
Did you check the back rail/keybed fitting with a long screwdriver at each
action bracket?
   Another thing to check.   Is the strike point correct?  Steinway's have
NO Dag screws.  Some times if the action is too far back, the frame and dag
will bind.   Adjust and check.
Because of the bowed front rail, and no Dag screws, the final checks must
always be done with the cheek blocks securely fastened down.
Fitting Steinway key frames, is not always easy. >:-o

Just more food for thought.
Now you really owe me a Dram.
Roger