odd wippens

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:28:38 -0600

You need to finish the last of your RPT exams so you will no longer be a =
PTG
Ass=20
=20
Just a thought <G>
=20
I have a friend who is a dentist, specializing in dentures. I helped him
make dentures and partials for a while and was intrigued with the =
process
which includes pouring hot collagen (seaweed stuff)  over the plaster =
casts
of the person's upper and lower gums, upon which plastic teeth are =
embedded
in wax that has been built up to the shape of the denture. (The stuff is =
not
hot enough to melt the wax so it wouldn't harm wood.) Anyway, that is =
cooled
and the plaster/teeth/wax removed, leaving a 3-dimensional mold that is
filled with pink stuff (acrylic resin, I believe) and the whole mess is =
put
under moderate heat and elevated atmospheric pressure (prevents bubbles) =
cure.
=20
I have wondered how well this process would duplicate parts like =
wippens.
I'm sure the stuff is strong enough to take the stresses of a wippen or
flange.
=20
If you can't find what you want anywhere else and want to be part of a =
great
experiment, strip a good wippen down to the bare wood, remove the jack
flange, leather, etc., and send it to me, we'll try it out!
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO