Squeak in unacorda of S & S, B

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:06:14 -0800

The only thing I'd do is eliminate the re-graphiting anything.  =
 Use micro-fine teflon powder on dags, back of keyframe, glides,=
 treble end keyframe, underside of keyframe, keybed contact=
 areas....scrape off the graphite with a single edge razor.  =
 Consider Flitzing the glides.   I think it sounds like the point=
 of contact with the return spring.  Test with a piece of bushing=
 cloth between keyframe and spring to see if squeek goes away. =
 If it does you have to scrape the keyframe with a single edge=
 razor to get rid of any depression.   6 months old Steinway=
 shouldn't have much...all the things you did that stopped the=
 squeek changed the contact point with the return spring...

Just some ideas...

Original message
From: John Ross
To: pianotech
Subject: Squeak in unacorda of S & S, B

Hi List,
I was wondering if any of you have run/ran into this problem.
It was a S & S model B, less than 6 months old. It is the first=
 time I have seen it, and I got a call yesterday afternoon,=
 wondering if I would have a look at a squeak problem, before a=
 concert this afternoon.
So I went this morning, (extra charge of course).
I thought it would be an easy fix. But, noooooo.
I checked all the obvious places, regraphiting any worn areas,=
 tefloned and MPL'd appropriate spots.
Still there.
Tried pushing shift lever by hand, still there.
Not the spring on the right side, that bears on the action.
Tried moving the action toward me, a smidgen, no squeak.
Couldn't find anything wrong at the dags.
Then I tried lifting the action at the right side just a=
 smidgeon, gone again.
I turned the glide bolt back 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn, most of it=
 gone, but still some at the other end, but very slight, turned=
 left glide bolt up less than 1/8 turn.
Squeak gone.
Not enough time before concert to get into it more fully.
Have any of you ran into this causing a squeak?
Is there a proper fix, that I should go back and do?
Thank you.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca