Re; Question about Beats during tuning

Pianotunaguy@aol.com Pianotunaguy@aol.com
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 08:47:25 EST

In a message dated 3/12/05 4:05:24 AM, tune4u@earthlink.net (who didn't sign=
=20
a name to his post) writes:

> The very common march tempo of mm=3D120=A0will let=A0you count 4 beats per=
=20
> metronome tick, which is 8bps,=A0and it's easy to get that rate into your=20=
noodle=20
> storage space.
>=20
>=20

This is simply not true.=A0 I conducted professional musical theater=20
productions for 25 years before becoming a tuner.=A0 For 20 years I set the=20=
tempi in my=20
head for each song. (The goal being to play the same tempo every night.)=A0=20=
I was=20
known for my accuracy and consistency here in Chicago.=A0 Then, in the 1990s=
 I=20
became involved in computer sequencing of live shows.=A0 At this point, I wa=
s=20
CERTAIN that the tempi were the same night after night because the computer=20=
set=20
the tempi.

Let me tell you: some nights that thing seemed=A0=A0=A0 S=A0 O=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0=A0 S=A0=A0 L=A0=A0 O=A0=A0 W=A0=20
.=A0=A0 Other nights it seemed as if things were flying by.=A0 I remember th=
e dance=20
captain coming to me at intermission once to ask, "Is it possible that the=20
'BlahBlah dance break' was fast tonight?"=A0=A0=A0 No, it was digitally the=20=
same as last=20
night.=A0 It just SEEMED faster tonight.

So maybe I was better than most at setting those tempi in my head prior to=20
the digital revolution (I'd like to think so), but I know now that I was not=
=20
100% accurate.=A0 It's not humanly possible.

So to bet the farm on your ability to set 120 in your head is folly.=A0

Knowing that, as a tuner I have never tried to count beats in tempo.=A0 I us=
e=20
comparison exclusively.=A0 Yeah, the F3-A3 third is the starting point and y=
ou=20
try to hit that as close as you can, but by then comparing the contiguous th=
irds=20
F3-A3-C#4-F4 and making sure that you have a progression there you can get i=
t=20
even closer if you missed it in the first place.=A0

Even Virgil Smith has in his tuning sequence a quick check (using comparison=
)=20
to make sure that his F3-A3 third is beating properly.=A0 If all you had to=20=
do=20
was memorize a tempo, why would Virgil Smith, certainly one of the greatest=20
tuners of his generation, use comparison to check his beat speed on that ope=
ning=20
F3-A3 third?

Trying to memorize beat speeds in your head is a waste of time in my=20
opinion.=A0 At the very least, I can guarantee that there are other ways to=20=
skin the=20
cat.=A0 My proof: I recently passed the RPT exam with all scores 93 or highe=
r.=A0 And=20
I never ever try to count beats.=A0 Ever.=A0 I only compare.

Tom Sivak
Chicago Chapter PTG Associate