Glued Flanges

Brad Smith, RPT staff@smithpiano.com
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:40:03 -0500

Joe,
Thanks for replying.
(CA glue was used on a 'triage' situation I had recently, where powder post
beetles had eaten through much of the action on a M & H from Florida.
I used glue, and used up much of my supply of Webb's wood rebuilder to fill
in gaps and patch together the back action. Long story.)

Personally, I would also prefer a method that would allow me to take the
flange off of the rail and repair it.
But, short of converting the rail, I wanted to do something to reinforce the
existing glue joint and configuration.

I appreciate everyone's responses.  Thanks!
Best regards,
Brad Smith, RPT
www.smithpiano.com

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Joe Garrett [mailto:joegarrett@earthlink.net]
  Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:18 AM
  To: pianotech
  Subject: Re: Glued Flanges

  I have used CA glue to 'shore up' the glued flanges in the past.
  Has anyone tried drilling through the glued flanges; then dowel and glue
  them in place? Is that overkill?
  Brad! Yikes! No CA there, IMO! If you take the time to drill through each
flange, why not just convert the rail to SCREWED Flanges w/sandpaper on the
rail to avoid flange movement? Personally, I'd prefer a method that would
allow me to take the flange off of the rail and repair it!

  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I