Reinforcing damper back action flanges glued to damper rail

Fenton Murray fmurray@cruzio.com
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:39:44 -0800

Hi Brad,
I always add a screw through each flange into the rail. I don't have one =
to look at right now but if memory serves, move the springs out of the =
way and drill for about a 5/8 x 3 screw. Pilot hole, through hole, and =
counter sink. Scribe a line where you want them, there aren't too many =
places to put them, eyeball each center of flange, very light center =
punch, then drill on the drill press (or not), counter sink first, then =
through hole, then pilot. Careful not to weaken springs when turning =
them out of the way to drill. You might be able to drill with out moving =
them. Or, do it right, determine the desired spring tension and readjust =
them on replacement with a gram gauge.
I don't think there is overkill with a back action.
Hi List,=20
Any do's and don't regarding the reinforcement of damper back action
flanges?=20

I just don't want to have ANY flanges come loose after new damper felt =
and
regulation work is done.=20
Piano in question is a Steinway M getting all new action parts (except =
back
action), damper felt, block and restring.=20

I have used CA glue to 'shore up' the glued flanges in the past. =20
Has anyone tried drilling through the glued flanges; then dowel and glue
them in place? Is that overkill?=20

As always, THANKS for your collective wisdom!

Best regards,
Brad Smith, RPT