Key buffing safety procedure

Robin Stevens pianoman@westnet.com.au
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:22:05 +1030 (Cen. Australia Daylight Time)

 Another thing to do is have a "safety net" under your buffing wheel on t=
he
floor.=0D
 When you are new to this procedure having the key spun out of your hand =
and
getting chipped on a hard floor is a problem. A thick rubber mat or carpe=
soft enough to stop chipping is mandatory.=0D
=0D
After polishing many hundreds of keyboards I have found out the best way =
avoid the key being spun out of your hand is to.=0D
=0D
Wrap your left hand (if right handed) VERY TIGHTLY around the key and wit=
your right hand use thumb and first finger tilt the key slightly towards =
you
 =0D
Always keep the key angled! or else it will put your tight gripping hand =
the test!!=0D
=0D
Then do some horizontal passes back and forth. I do the horizontal passes=
 in
two steps. First push the key till the sharp opening reaches the side of =
the
wheel and I then lift the key and put it back with the sharp opening on t=
he
other side of the wheel. The vertical passes take care of what you miss
around the opening area.=0D
=0D
Turn the key around so that your right hand has the vice grip and repeat
horizontal passes with the angled key. BUT, do not put too much pressure =
on
the sharp opening, or rounded corners will be the result.=0D
=0D
 Then, change grip to do the finishing vertical passes, starting at the t=
ail
end only, never from the front.=0D
=0D
I would only use that method for tops that have been sand papered or badl=
scratched.=0D
=0D
Too much gunk on the keys is the result of TOO much compound applied. The
wheel works better by regularly cleaning the old gunk off with the pointy
end of a file and applying compound lightly. I do not apply compound to t=
he
left corner of the wheel. I use that corner for the finishing passes.=0D
=0D
regards=0D
Robin Stevens=0D
South Australia=20