Moulded Keytops, problems buffing

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:54:41 -0600

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of John Ross
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 11:06 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Moulded Keytops, problems buffing

Hi,

Joe had mentioned problems buffing.

I also have problems in this area.

I had thought on a softer buffing wheel, but have been unable to find a
source. The selections available at my suppliers, are limited.

Any ideas?

I had thought on slowing the wheel down. Would that help?

John M. Ross

The buffing compound we use is the same compound used for polyester.  Webb
and Ruth Phillips sell this compound. They are listed in the PTG directory.
Purchase a buffing wheel for poly from them, also.   If you are having
trouble with burning the key top, use a low speed motor-1750 rpm. You can
chuck the buffer with a mandrel in your drill press and experiment with
speeds.  Avoid buffing without the compound; it's the compound that does the
work.  Use a very light touch and plan your work so the wheel will not grab
the key. Hold the key with a firm but flexible grip-no white knuckle
squeezing.  Practice on old key tops-the ones you are about to remove, even
if they are ivory.  Remove rings, watches, jewelry; roll up your sleeves;
safety glasses and dust mask are a "must."  You will develop the "feel" of
the key against the buffer, and soon graduate to a 3450 speed machine
because it makes quick work of polishing-even ivories.

Paul C