What model Steinway is this?

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:03:01 -0500

Hi,

I came across a Steinway today from about 1902-04, according to the
serial number I got off from the key slip. The area where the serial
number and model number typically are is empty (the piano was
apparently rebuilt).

I'm a bit confused about which model it is. The piano appeared to be
around 5'10" or 11", but it's not scaled like an L (I assume the O is
the same). The bass breaks at F instead of Bflat, and F through A are
double wound. So I thought it might be a model A, as it does look like
the Victorian-style A's. However, I have an L and am very familiar with
its size and this piano actually looked a little bit smaller. I thought
maybe it was an M (did they make them back then?), but doesn't the M
break at the Bflat with 2 double wound strings?

The woman who owned the piano thought it was about 5'10. Of course,
various things can alter one's perception of size at any given point in
time, so I should have measured it, but I didn't have anything to
measure it with.

In any case, does this sound like an A? Or is there another possibility?

Thanks.

- John