Tuning a concert piano with humidity control

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Sun, 06 Mar 2005 16:07:02

Hi Jerry,

I'd go with the single tank and bottom cover. I have done bottom covers
with tanks that hang beneath the beams. It is still esthetically better
looking to have the bottom cover than to see two ugly tanks below the piano.

I'd still arrange for any system with or without bottom cover to be plugged
in, or do the ups solution.

My "ultimate" humidity control system would include an Edward's String
Cover too.

My experience with floor length covers is that they don't help much. I have
one performance instrument where the piano has a floor length cover. After
a bottom cover was retrofitted there was a significant improvement in
stability, both at the tenor break and unisons.

I would try to tune as close to the concert as possible. In that ideal
world the piano would be in position 8 hours before the tuning in
performance conditions.

At 11:17 AM 3/6/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks for the reply, Don.
>
>This piano requires a dual tank system, and because of the complex beam
>structure, the tanks must be mounted below the beams. Actually, one of the
>tanks would just fit, but the other just misses. Therefore a bottom cover is
>not an option. That is why I am requesting a custom floor length cover.
>
>With no bottom cover, does it make sense to keep it plugged in during the
>concert? They do mostly chamber music, so the piano gets repositioned
>depending on the number of instrumentalists for each work.
>
>With all this in mind, what is the best timing sequence for removing the
>cover and tuning?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jerry Cohen, RPT
>NJ Chapter