Moulded Key Tops

MICHAEL MORVAN keymaestro@verizon.net
Sun, 06 Mar 2005 13:15:41 -0500

Joe,=20
    I agree, the smell of cutting different plastics and ivory are all =
different and all terrible. I have also had some 3-alarm milling machine =
fires from machining celluloid, be careful and the smoke is toxic.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe Garrett=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 1:00 PM
  Subject: Re: Moulded Key Tops

  Mike asked: "Joe, what do you mean by "stink in my shop?" are you =3D
  referring to a particular glue or the smell of machining off old =
plastic =3D
  and ivory?"
    Mike,
  As I use PVC-E most of the time, it's not the glue smell. However, the =
machining of Ivorine, Cellulose & Ivory is a "Stink" that I wish I =
didn't have to endure.<G> For the Sake of good key surfaces, I do =
endure.<G> Somewhere, in my shop, is a little sign: "IF THE KEYS AREN'T =
RIGHT, NOTHING ELSE CAN BE!" This should be the motto of every tech, =
IMHO!<G>
  Best Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police