Modern Tone II, the Return of the Question

Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:14:05 -0000

MessageHello Alan and List
I really would like some amplification on the subjects of:
1. String seating
2. Bridge pin stabilisation
Any offers?
Regards from Sussex
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 6:08 AM
  Subject: RE: Modern Tone II, the Return of the Question

  David, et al,

  Well said.=20

  I DID play the '28 D that you and Dale had in Sacramento (already =
posted a comment to Dale). I sat down at that piano and the first thing =
I played was an octave in the low bass. It was the most beautiful sound =
I've ever heard from a piano, bar none, I exaggerate not.

  Please understand that I live in that mysterious part of the world =
where old Lesters, Winters, Wurlys, Chicks, Gulbransens, and Starks come =
to die. I tune 3 small Steinway grands, one new (Chinese) Steck grand, =
one (bless them) nice M&H, a couple of older small Baldwin grands, and a =
boatload of Hamilton studios (some nearly new, one that served on Noah's =
cruise ship, I think, and was worn out then). Only the Mason is big =
enough and nice enough to qualify as an RPT test piano and I've only =
seen it once, so far.

  So I can sure hear and appreciate good voicing but, as you say, it is =
hard to communicate with words. And I only have an intellectual, =
theoretical idea how it's produced, not the skills to do it.=20

  I'm going to spend time in Frank Henderson's shop doing some work in =
exchange for some coaching on this. I honestly think voicing is a skill =
that cannot be learned from a book and on one's own. I don't think one =
can one acquire those "ears" without hearing pianos and experiencing the =
difference with a guide at your side. At least, not I.

  Hope you didn't think my comment was a negative reaction to your =
post--I actually liked the sound of your words. But how does that all =
sound in a piano? Ahhh .... maybe like that bass octave in California.=20

  Hey, I liked the racing stripes, too. (Now everyone will be asking you =
what the heck THAT means!)

  Alan R. Barnard
  Salem, MO

  P.S.  Part of my pursuit of this at this time is a desire to rescue an =
area Methodist church from the shrill, busy, ultra-bright, piercing, =
stident, trident (gummed up) sound of the little Samick SG-172 grand =
they bought. I'm pretty sure it's going to start with some serious =
string seating, bridge pin stabilization, and regulation--followed by a =
session in the back room with those hammers ... under a bright light ... =
with a rubber hose and brass knuckles, to soften them up. I don't THINK =
I could make it worse, even with what I know, now.  And, no, there are =
no other guild techs within two hours of here and no local yokels I'd =
want to invite to help. I am alllllll aloooooooone here in the elephant =
ivory graveyard.