Modern Tone II, the Return of the Question

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:36:28 -0600

MessageAlan,

Well, I don't think there's a class out there that can cover everything. =
 The way I learned (and am still learning) was knowing the basic =
pinciples and <practicing----a lot.>  I taught a class once for the =
Houston PTG chapter (hey Avery) on how to get started on voicing (maybe =
that's all I really know--I'm no master!) and one of the points I made =
was the fear factor is less if you are armed with the knowledge of how =
to correct your mistakes, too. =20

Besides having picked up excellent suggestions on this list, I go to =
every voicing class I can.  If I can pick up one little tidbit or expand =
my understanding by a smidgeon, it's been worth it.  Sometimes the tips =
I get don't come from the teacher, but from the person I happen to be =
sitting next to!

Shucks, I won't see you in Kansas City--and I'm not sure when I'll be =
able to make it to another annual convention. The new timing (earlier =
dates in June) conflicts with important fiscal year end stuff at my =
husband's job (annual meetings/reviews, etc.)--he's the boss and sort of =
has to be there.  Last year he was able to take vacation time to stay =
home with our son while I went to Nashville. I've been trying to come up =
with some child-care options, but no luck so far.  That's the way it =
works out sometimes.  I'm hoping to attend a regional next fall or =
spring.

Keep practicing!

Barbara Richmond

  ----- Original Message -----=20